Wednesday 8 February 2012

Yarn Along




Happily joining Ginny and the gang over at Small Things for this week's Yarn Along.
So, making Granny Squares is a great way to get back in to crochet, right? But the mere thought of making a blanket right now or heck, even a cushion cover is more than I can bear ; )
So pin cushions it is. For now.
Small is Beautiful these days.


I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's collection of stories Homeland. I loved reading her novels; The bean trees, Pigs in Heaven and Prodigal Summer when I was younger. I was curious to see what her short stories were like. I just read one called Quality Time....I do love stories about the real life experience of motherhood. 
The mama in this story is thinking back over the idealistic ideas and intentions she held about parenting when she was pregnant. This line has stayed with me:
 ' Now she understands. Parenting is something that happens mostly while you're thinking of something else.' 
...Love the honesty in her storytelling : )


Looking forward to seeing what y'all are stitching and reading out there. Great to have you stopping by. M x

13 comments:

  1. What cute pincushions!
    I love Barbara Kingsolver and am wondering how I missed that book! Now I guess I need to find a copy here! :)
    Happy Yarn Along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small IS beautiful :)
    I love your colors here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that quote. I will have to find this book I love Barbara Kingsolver.

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful and true quote. Those pin cushions are wonderful.
    xo,
    Ang (peach coglo)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pin cushions are very handy. Who needs a full blanket? :) I should really knit or sew a pincushion soon because my pins are still in a box, and I end up either stabbing myself or having trouble picking up single pins when I reach for one.

    I've heard of the author you mentioned but never read any of her stories (I think). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So handy! Just like you, I'm done with fumbling in the box, now I just need to make some for the handwork room at school! On my way over now to see what beautiful things you've been making. Great as always to have you visit, thanks.

      Delete
  6. Your granny squares look beautiful . . . though I admit, the idea of weaving in all those ends is enough to scare me away from copying you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there Jessica ; ) definitely not my favourite part either, but I just love colour changes!

      Delete
  7. I just love your header. It really struck me today. It is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Natalie : ) that's lovely to hear. These lads were part of a Moss Gnome Clan that I made last year...and they knit! I kind of fell in love with needle felting x

      Delete
  8. I love granny squares! If only I could figure out how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your granny square pin cishions, they are gorgeous!
    xo

    ReplyDelete