Tuesday 14 June 2011

Yarn Along


I am joining Ginny and the gang over at small things for this weeks Yarn Along. I began to learn how to knit this Spring at our local Woollygatherings and while I feel I've a lot to learn yet, I'm delighted to be tackling my first 'big' project, a sleeveless v-neck jumper for my small man. He pulls one on practically every morning for school, but they're not easily available to buy around here in the pure wool version. It's also very hard to find fun colours in boy's clothing.
 I'm loving working on circular needles and this Noro yarn is really vibrant. I do find the colour gradations a bit dubious in places though, so for this piece which is the front, I broke off the yarn and re-joined to get a smoother colour change. I love self-striping yarns.
Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance is a comforting read.  There's a short essay for every day so it's ideal, as I can tend to have poor staying-power when it comes to books without pictures, but I can just dip in and out of this. Alas, less reading and more knitting is called for these days as a certain smallie keeps asking 'Is my jumper finished yet..?' Daunted by the mysteries of how to knit a neckband, I go on! I look forward to seeing it 'in action' for that's when a piece of knitwear truly comes to life, right? with a moving body inside it...and there is no doubt that this one will see lots of movement ; )

14 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful yarn - it glows right of the screen. I have Romancing the Ordinary - a book by the same author. it is lovely to dip into now and again for some inspiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I love the Noro yarn!! I just have trouble figuring out what to knit with it! I was thinking a hat or a even a bag. I love circular needles too, though I'm working with dpn right now. So cumbersome! BTW, your felted pieces are absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that Noro is wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your first big project. It's looking great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Noro yarn, it's too gorgeous. I keep making sleeveless jumpers for my son too (in fact, I've just finished a cardie one). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sweater will surely be beloved! Noro is the best.
    Your wooly creations are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful colors!
    :) I dream about buying some Noro for my projects but they don't have it around here :/ too bad...

    keep knitting! I can't wait to see the finished project :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The yarn colors are beautiful and your knitting is so pretty!
    Be well,
    Angela (Peach Coglo)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the boy doesn't grow faster than the jumper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors of the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really beautiful color in your yarn. Can't wait to see the sweater when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog photos. Even though i'm not knitting, crocheting or felting at the moment I can almost feel the pleasure and texture of it through your blog. Good on you girl x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That yarn is gorgeous, and your first "big" project is coming along beautifully! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so for the appreciation lassies, it helps loads as I'm here grappling with my decreases! Looking forward to checking out all your work in progress ; )

    ReplyDelete